12/18/09

Change of Plans...


Christmas is by far my favorite time of year. I love everything that comes with it except for Celine Dion music, decorating the tree, icicle lights, and holding that little candle at the Christmas eve service. The most quintessential part is the food. Yeah I know you probably let yourself think it's the idea of the family gathering together or the gifts, but it's obviously not. You know how I know you know it's the food (little confusing), when was the last you had Christmas without eating like it was your last meal on earth? Sure we have all had relatives that couldn't make it or told our siblings not to do gifts that year, but when was the last time you fasted on Christmas day? When was the last time your family decided to just skip the meal and move on to the next scheduled activity? And not just when grandma burnt the turkey. Never? I know. Me neither. It's a ridiculous question to even ask. But what if by some miracle we collectively or individually fasted as a way to keep our hearts and minds on the idea that Christ is enough. If we used those moments of hunger as a reminder to prayerfully intercede for others and ourselves. Don't hear me say Christmas is canceled and you can't eat. What I am saying is be conscious not to let the effects of Christmas steal your affections for the cause.