I think what has possibly fueled my aversion to the ocean was a terribly horrific encounter…when I was very young (about 15), I experienced Shark Week. For those of you who don’t know what I’m talking about, Shark Week will take over the Discovery Channel in 4 days and proceed to tell you more than you ever wanted to know about sharks. Though I don’t think it’s their intention, they seem to always focus on how ridiculously blood-thirsty (randomly just thought of Katie B. and vampires…) these creatures are for humans. To be fair, they do preface the whole thing with “most shark attacks occur because they mistake humans for seals”, but that message seems to get lost somewhere in the mix of people with no legs. I would encourage anyone who likes to dabble in the ocean to skip the Shark Week experience, but for the rest of us who have already been scarred for life...it’s time to feed the fear.
7/29/09
Fear Frenzy...
I think what has possibly fueled my aversion to the ocean was a terribly horrific encounter…when I was very young (about 15), I experienced Shark Week. For those of you who don’t know what I’m talking about, Shark Week will take over the Discovery Channel in 4 days and proceed to tell you more than you ever wanted to know about sharks. Though I don’t think it’s their intention, they seem to always focus on how ridiculously blood-thirsty (randomly just thought of Katie B. and vampires…) these creatures are for humans. To be fair, they do preface the whole thing with “most shark attacks occur because they mistake humans for seals”, but that message seems to get lost somewhere in the mix of people with no legs. I would encourage anyone who likes to dabble in the ocean to skip the Shark Week experience, but for the rest of us who have already been scarred for life...it’s time to feed the fear.