7/29/09

Just Chill...

(2 weeks from today...Maine here I come)

Why is it that when life seems to be idling, I start to feel like I have lost my purpose? Or why do I try to stay so busy in the hopes of imitating purpose? Why is it that I only feel content when I have a plan for my life? I know the obvious reason is that God made us to be purpose driven. The first thing God ever said to Adam was the command of filling the earth and subduing it. It’s a random, funny thought that God made sure we knew instantly who was in charge…He knows exactly how we think. Anyways, in going to Sunday school I learned that the real purpose of my life is to glorify God and find my contentment in Him. It’s this idea that’s proven so true when you really get to know materialistic people. You spend enough time around them, and you can see this lack of contentment as if it’s tangible. It’s almost as if they begin to believe it really is tangible…that they can buy it. It all just makes the story of Solomon so authentic.

So knowing how foolish that is, why do I find myself searching for that same earthly purpose which can’t be found? I don’t mean to say I shouldn’t strive to be successful or that I can’t be both successful and glorify God, but at what cost do I strive? How is it that I know the Sunday school answer, but find it so hard to buy into it? Why would I not run towards the purpose to which I was truly created? I think it’s because when I strive to glorify God, I get this notion that I’m somehow missing out on life…when in reality, it’s only then that I’m really living. I struggle with this concept constantly. It’s a daily prayer of mine that I would find my purpose in Him and let the rest fall into place. That I would be content in life’s idling periods because there is purpose in these times. I’m starting to peer through the lens that maybe God isn’t having me miss out on life, but, instead, using this time to prepare me for something in the future. What a refreshing thought.